Right now, I am at Leadership Lab. It is a leadership laboratory for Christian students to grow in faith and acquire leadership skills. I’ve been a part of this one week a year “camp” for 34 years or about 70% of my life.
I personally witness changed lives year after year… including my own. I am fairly sure I wouldn’t be a pastor if my father didn’t make me go to Leadership Lab. Thanks dad!
On Sunday night, one of the directors I work with (and took to Leadership Lab for the first time as a student in 1999) provided us with some statistics to show us the importance and impact of a camp like experience.
One week of Leadership Lab is equivalent to:
- 28 hours of youth group meetings = 3-6 months of youth group meetings
- 17 meals with loved ones/mentors/youth leaders/pastors
- 22 hours of worship = 5 months of regular worship
Building relationships and community take time. You need least 8 hours of face time with a person or a group to build community. In church that would mean:
- 8 weeks of worship
- 4-8 weeks of youth group meetings
- One lock in or mini-retreat
- Or just Monday and Tuesday of Leadership Lab
This is an intensive and action packed week… devoted to building up the church and future leaders.
I wish I could bottle what we do here and bring it home… but alas I cannot do that. I do however thank you for your support as I serve the larger church.
God bless you,