We are just a few days from the beginning of Holy Week. We will remember:
- Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem (he is from Nazareth),
- how Jesus disrupted the business of the Temple (called the cleansing but he didn’t do any cleaning)
- how Jesus taught daily in the Temple courts (outside the Temple building)
- Jesus celebrating Passover (the Old Covenant) with his disciples and establishing a New Covenant (Holy Communion)
- Jesus’ arrest and trial (a kangaroo court for sure)
- Jesus’ crucifixion and death (by the Roman authorities)
- Jesus’ burial in a borrowed tomb (thanks to Joseph of Arimathea)
- Jesus’ glorious and unexpected resurrection
Jesus did all of these things with you in mind. Yes, that’s right. He was thinking of you. Don’t forget that you are “fearfully and wonderfully made. When you were woven together in the depths of the earth, God’s eyes saw your unformed body.” Psalm 139:14-16Like Jeremiah the Old Testament prophet, “Before God formed you in the womb He knew you, before you were born God set you apart…” Jeremiah 1:5
Jesus knew long before you did that you would be a part of His family one day. He knew this before you were born. “In love God predestined us to be adopted as his children through Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 1:4But we aren’t members of a club. No, we were invited to be changed by this love! “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son…” Romans 8:29
You are more favored by God than even Jesus’ disciples! “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:29
This coming week… Holy Week is all for you.
- Jesus reminds you that he is your King on Palm Sunday.
- Jesus makes an unbreakable promise of forgiveness to you when he gave us Holy Communion.
- Jesus showed you the extent of His love by dying for you.
- And Jesus shows us that we no longer need to fear anyone or anything including death on Easter morning.
This coming week is a gift for you. Immerse yourself in that gift. God loves you so much.
Speaking of God’s love, Jesus is thinking about you right now as you read this.
God bless you,